Hi,

Without any intent to attack you directly or something like that, I've
always found it silly to compare Windows/System I security, because it
just doesn't work.

Comparing a desktop OS, with desktop applications to a server which only
allows access through 5250 security-wise doesn't work.

A better comparison would be a Windows Server 2003 running as a Terminal
Server, locked down to only allowing an ERP Application like Navision or
Axapta to run.

Every Desktop OS has it's huge share of security issues - Look at all
the OS X Advisories, the Firefox vulnerabilities, the KDE and GNOME
security issues, and all the SLED (SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop)
Security announcements. What those alternative operating systems lack
are viruses/worms which use the vulnerabilities automatically - they are
not a large enough target group to form a money-making botnet with.

OTOH, while i5/OS in itself is a very robust operating systems, the SOP
of most customers I've seen is HORRIBLE. Lot's of systems still running
on Security Level 20, the QSECOFR password unchanged, using unencrypted
Telnet to access your information. That's not the fault of IBM, isn't
it? However, many shops have an equally lax windows security practice.
i5/OS just lacks the number to be a feasible exploitation target.

And while we get PTFs by the truckload after just a quarter, Microsoft's
amount of patches actually allows you to see what components are
changed. While this is also possible with PTFs, usually you just don't
have the time. Looking at 10 patches per month is feasible, but with
about more than 100 PTFs per quarter, it's no longer feasible.

Security is very important topic, but the most problem lie in the
administration itself, and not what get's shipped from the OS vendor.