From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Al Barsa
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 10:47 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: SLIC/OS Levels for POWER5 to POWER5+ Upgrade

To o to Power 5+, they must be running V5R3M5 of SLIC, which cannot be
PTFed from V5R3M0 of SLIC.  Reloading SLIC is not a huge deal, but it
does entail about an hour of down time.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             "Dean Boyle"

             <dean_boyle@hotma

             il.com>
             Sent by:                  midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx

             midrange-l-bounce
cc
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject
                                       SLIC/OS Levels for POWER5 to

             12/21/2006 11:38          POWER5+ Upgrade

             AM

             Please respond to

             Midrange Systems

                 Technical

                Discussion

             <midrange-l@midra

                 nge.com>

Hi,
I have a customer who is planning to upgrade from a POWER5 570 to a
POWER5+

570.  They are currently running V5R3 and I'm trying to understand if
they need to install a newer version of the V5R3 SLIC and Base OS before
the hardware upgrade takes place.  There is reference to this in one of
the
V5R4
Hardware Announcement PDFs but I'm trying to confirm if this is indeed
the case.  The PDF refers to a feature code of #2692 (V5R3 Refresh)
which must be ordered as part of the upgrade.  Has anyone gone through
this process?
Thanks,
Dean.