From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Richter
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 3:43 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: What do you like about your i? Was->RE: Saving the System
i:FightRather Than Switch

On 12/8/06, albartell <albartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have some negatives, want to read them? ;)

Well never get better until we know what is wrong :-)  Note that your
list of negatives will be picked apart piece by piece, but I suspect
you expect
that;-)

What are the other things that the iSeries is lacking in your mind?

the 16 meg size limit on space allocations is one. In an XML world, where
strings can hold an entire file system, this is a major limitation.  The
whole .NET/managed code framework that Windows has is very good. Think of
how much better the i5 would be if Java, CL, RPG and SQL procedures could
work with common memory management and calling conventions.

But it comes down to price and speed.  You can actually use ILE and the pre
compiler APIs to write a managed code version of RPG and CL.
It is just you need a lot more than 1200 CPW to run it.

-Steve