     To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
     From: "Trevor Perry" <tperry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     Date: 12/08/2006 09:27AM
     Subject: Re: Saving the System i: Fight Rather Than Switch

     And one more...

     You said:
     >  The many name changes are just adding insult to injury.  But since
     > they're not marketing it properly, positive brand recognition is not
     > there anyway.

     There have been NO name changes since January 2006. There were
     ultimately
     only 3 names - AS/400, iSeries (part of eServer family) and System i5.
     And
     that was over EIGHTEEN years - IT changes its diapers much faster than
     that.
     Now we have the System i family to cover all three platforms and bring
     the
     community together.

     So, collectively, we must:
     1) stop whining about ~ALL~ the name changes -
     2) start calling this platform by its CURRENT family name - System i

     It seems such a simple simple thing. Why is it that other IT developers
     can
     change and adapt fast, and we cannot. And it is just a brand name to
     change!! Maybe because we are dinosaurs at IT, we will become extinct
     soon?

     As for brand recognition.. while we collectively call it AS/400, there
     will
     be ~no~ brand recognition. IBM has given us a name for the platform, and
     until WE recognize the branding, there is no future.

     AS/400 is our heritage.
     System i is our future.

     list