For the archives:

In the custom program, define a single output result with correct length.
When defining the parameter to AJS, leave the "parameter data" empty, and
supply your program. Here is the program I wrote to determine "last month's
year", basically the AJS format *QYY(M-1).

-----start rpgle program ajsyy1

 //  7 Dec 2006 - Loyd Goodbar
 //               Altiris 11711
 //               Custom AJS date parameter program to provide "last month's
year."

d ajsyy1          pr                  extpgm('AJSYY1')
d  outyearchar                   4a

d ajsyy1          pi
Entry plist
d  outyearchar                   4a

d workdate        s               d   datfmt(*iso) inz(*sys)

 /free

    workdate -= %months(1);
    outyearchar = %char(%subdt(workdate:*years));
    *inlr = *on;
    return;

 /end-free

-----end rpgle program ajsyy1