NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx

midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 12/06/2006 04:13:59 PM:

Record with the largest salary.  If there are multiple, then the record
with
the largest salary and the largest age (one record).

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alan Shore
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 4:07 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Need help with SQL query

John - What do you want to see if the data includes these 2 records

Fname  lname   age       salary

----------  ---------   ----        --------

John     Smith    12         220000
John     Smith    90         12

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx
midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 12/06/2006 04:00:17 PM:

I am trying to figure out a query that needs to display rows of grouped
data
based on max values of two columns.

Here is an example.

Fname  lname   age       salary

----------  ---------   ----        --------

John     Smith    39         20000

John     Smith    38         20000

John     Smith    40         15000

Adam    Apple    20         25000

Adam    Apple    21         25000

Adam    Apple    19         18000

I need to return one line from each group (one john smith and one Adam
Apple) based on highest salary and age.  For john Smith, highest Salary
is
20000 and then highest age is 39, so the row returned would be John
Smith
39
20000.  For Adam Apple it would be Adam Apple 21 25000.

I can get it narrowed down to rows grouped with highest salary, but
then
can not think how to get it to narrow it down another level and only
display
the one with the larger age number after that.

John A Candidi

Rutgers Insurance Companies

IT Director - Iseries Manager

856-779-2274