Mike,

We use CPROBJ all the time.  We ship all of our software products in compressed
state to conserve space and speed up software create times as well as load
times.  When the software is downloaded from our website, having it compressed
first before we then zip it really saves on the amount of data that the
customer needs to download.  There is a slight delay the first time each object
gets used once the software is installed, but we've never had a customer
complain about it in all the years we've been doing this.

I think its a good idea to periodically compress objects on the entire system
that haven't been used in a while.  I do it on our test box, but infrequently.
As far as I can see, there is no real penalty and it does free up some dasd
space.

Rich Loeber
Kisco Information Systems
http://www.kisco.com

Mike Cunningham wrote:

Early this week I had asked about using the CHGPGM command to remove
observability and compress program sizes that all responders said to
forget about. One mentioned using the Compress Object CPROBJ command to
save on space usage and speed up backups. Is anyone using this command
on a regular basis to reduce the size of objects that can be compressed
that only get used infrequently like year-end processes? If you do run
it do you only compress your own objects or do you do a system wide
compress?

I am considering running this CPROBJ OBJ(*ALLUSR/*ALL) OBJTYPE(*ALL)
DAYS(90) every week end when system use is low.  Or would CPROBJ
OBJ(*ALL/*ALL) OBJTYPE(*ALL) DAYS(90) be a better choice.

I did a test on our development library which has 2,915 objects. 2,901
were scanned by CPROBJ, 464 were able to be compressed and space usage
for the library went from 3,924,838,912 down to 3,833,350,656. Not a big
change.  But, of the 464 objects that were compressed space usage went
from 150,269,952 down to 58,781,696. Not bad.

Mike Cunningham
CIO
Pennsylvania College of Technology
www.pct.edu