This is my first IXA installation and I am a little uncertain whether I have done things correctly. I have a x366 xServer that I rack installed. It had two cards installed in the xServer: an RSA II card and the 1519 IXA card (in slot 2, covering also slot 3).

At this point in the process I had a question that I couldn't get answered by the manual or other on-line resources. The installation instructions (page 45 of the Integrated xSeries Adapter manual) refers to a step 6. To wit:

"6. Provide 3.3v standby power for the card position by doing the following:

a. Locate J35 and install a jumper to connect the pins by doing one of the following. For a 2-pin configuration, install a jumper to connect the two pins. For a 3-pin configuration, move the jumper from the default position to the enabled position by moving the jumper to the uppermost 2 pins as viewed from the front of the server.

b. Locate J40 and install a jumper to connect the two pins. For a 2-pin configuration, install a jumper to connect the two pins. For a 3-pin configuration, move the jumper from the default position to the enabled position by moving the jumper to the rightmost 2 pins as viewed from the front of the server."

The thought that occurred to me was "I need to jumper something in order to get power to the cards?" So I didn't complete that step. These failing bi-focaled eyes couldn't see those jumpers anyway. Perhaps that was my big mistake.

Next step - Cabling. Man! These guys are expensive because of the cables needed to connect the xServer and System i together! This is where my newness in installing one of these things left me uneasy. The cable between the RSA card and the 1519 was well labeled and easy to install. The SPCN cable went from the "little brick" SPCN adapter to the UPS (via a "Y" Cable). However, I got uneasy with the HSL cables. Having never dealt with HSL cabling, I was uncertain how to establish the "loop". I connected one cable from the IXA to the System i, and then connected the other cable from the IXA to the System i. There seemed to be only one way to install these and the only thing I could have done wrong was establish the "loop" incorrectly. Would that be important? I ran the first cable from the left-most connector on the IXA to the topmost connector on the System i. I ran the second cable using the remaining connectors. Seemed *fairly* straight forward.

The problem is that I don't see the adapter when I use the WRKHDWRSC *CMN command. I see a 268C resource type but the manual says that it should be a 2689 resource type. I think the 268C is the Linux partition using virtual hardware. But there is no 2689 resource listed.

Where should I start checking? The xServer DOES boot when I manually turn it on. I changed some BIOS settings as per the manual. So I think the issue is the System i "seeing" the IXA.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete Helgren