albartell schrieb:
Ok, so through some finagling, twisting and turning I am now logged into my
new System i5!! Whoo hooo!  Special thanks to Alfredo Delgado for
introducing me to nmap as that is what allowed me to discover what IP
address the System i5 grabbed (and it wasn't the one I specified in the
wizard) and then I pointed OpsCons at that and I was in before I knew it
(note that this was after having to reset the QCONSOLE password on the
System i - very interesting process of clicking control panel buttons).
Now, I am trying to setup TCP/IP so I can get other sessions connected and
am having trouble.  I am reading the manual and it is telling me to use the
EZ-Setup Wizard which is currently bombing on me so I am going at it via the
"character based" approach.  Based on the below can anybody give input?
- I configured a line description successfully (i.e. ETHLIN01) and pointed
it at
- CHGTCPA to change the IP datagram forwarding to be *YES
- Added an interface like the following 192.168.0.27     255.255.255.0
ETHLIN01     *ELAN
- ENDTCP
- STRTCP
Joblog of QTCPIP shows the following: Status of *LIN ETHLIN01 is 'VARIED OFF'. Vary on completed for line ETHLIN01. Vary on completed for controller ETHLINET00. Vary on completed for device ETHLITCP00. Status of *CTL ETHLINET00 is 'VARY ON PENDING'. Delaying processing for *LIN ETHLIN01. Retry in 2 seconds. Status of *LIN ETHLIN01 is 'VARY ON PENDING'. Delaying processing for *LIN ETHLIN01. Retry in 4 seconds. Status of *LIN ETHLIN01 is 'VARY ON PENDING'. Delaying processing for *LIN ETHLIN01. Retry in 5 seconds. Status of *LIN ETHLIN01 is 'VARY ON PENDING'. Delaying processing for *LIN ETHLIN01. Retry in 8 seconds. Status of *LIN ETHLIN01 is 'VARY ON PENDING'. Delaying processing for *LIN ETHLIN01. Retry in 12 seconds. Status of *LIN ETHLIN01 is 'VARY ON PENDING'. Delaying processing for *LIN ETHLIN01. Retry in 19 seconds. Status of *LIN ETHLIN01 is 'VARY ON PENDING'. Delaying processing for *LIN ETHLIN01. Retry in 30 seconds. Status of *LIN ETHLIN01 is 'VARY ON PENDING'. Delaying processing for *LIN ETHLIN01. Retry in 48 seconds. Status of *LIN ETHLIN01 is 'FAILED'. Unexpected error occurred. 192.168.0.27 interface not started. Job QTCPIP not using '*LIN ETHLIN01'. Reason 40. 128 seconds. Note that there is no reason 40 in the below addtl msg info... Additional Message Information

Message ID . . . . . . :   TCP1B35

Date sent  . . . . . . :   11/14/06      Time sent  . . . . . . :   15:15:16

Message . . . . :   Job QTCPIP not using '*LIN ETHLIN01'. Reason 40. 128

  seconds.

Cause . . . . . :   Job 001564/QTCP/QTCPIP has stopped using '*LIN
ETHLIN01'. The total time was 128 seconds.

Recovery  . . . :   The reason code is 40. Reason codes and their meanings

  are:

  00 - Normal deactivation processing.

  10 - Normal deactivation processing, however activation never completed.

  30 - Activation failed to complete within allowed maximum time. Further

    processing terminated.

  50 - Abnormal termination of job or program.

Bottom WRKHDWRSC TYPE(*CMN) Resource Type Status Text CMB02 268C Operational Combined function IOP LIN01 6B03 Operational Comm Adapter CMN01 6B03 Operational Comm Port LIN02 6B03 Operational Comm Adapter CMN02 6B03 Operational Comm Port CMB03 5706 Operational Comm Processor LIN03 5706 Operational LAN Adapter CMN03 5706 Operational Ethernet Port CMN04 5706 Operational Ethernet Port CMB04 2793 Operational Comm Processor LIN04 2793 Operational Comm Adapter CMN05 2793 Operational Comm Port CMN06 2793 Operational Comm Port Change Line Desc (Ethernet) (CHGLINETH) Type choices, press Enter. Line description . . . . . . . . > ETHLIN01 Name Resource name . . . . . . . . . CMN04 Name, *SAME, *NWID, *NWSD Online at IPL . . . . . . . . . *YES *SAME, *YES, *NO Vary on wait . . . . . . . . . . *NOWAIT *NOWAIT, 15-180 seconds Associated port resource name . *SAME Name, *SAME, *NONE Local adapter address . . . . . *ADPT 020000000000-FEFFFFFFFFFF
Group address  . . . . . . . . .   *SAME         010000000000-FDFFFFFFFFFF
+ for more values Maximum controllers . . . . . . 40 1-256, *SAME Work with TCP/IP Interfaces

                                                            System:
xxxxxxx
Type options, press Enter.

  1=Add   2=Change   4=Remove   5=Display   9=Start   10=End

     Internet         Subnet              Line      Line

Opt  Address          Mask             Description  Type

     127.0.0.1        255.0.0.0        *LOOPBACK    *NONE

     192.168.0.27     255.255.255.0    ETHLIN01     *ELAN

You got to "vary on" your ethernet line:

lstep by step you type on the command line:
wrkcfgsts *lin (enter) = this shows a list of configured "lines" on your system, ETHLIN01 should be one of them. place your cursor before that ETHLIN01 entry which is obviously "varied off" and
type 1 (enter) = vary on this line
wait to come up, wait another second to come up, then
cfgtcp, option 1, (interfaces)
go to your interface 192.168.0.27 and do a 9 = start that interface
wait for that start up, then press F11 to see if it started up correctly (tcp has been already started)
then try to ping your machine from the rest of the LAN
When you set your line description ETHLIN01 to ONLINE at IPL = *YES, it comes up each time you do an IPL automatically, which is the default value. You had to do this manually only this
time, because you just created it.

Hope this helps,
Philipp