I am not sure if this is directed at me as the thread history was taken out,
so I will answer as I started this offshoot.

Are you currently going to your LUG meetings?
Currently no.  Mostly because I get so busy with things concerning work.
But my busy-ness at work often times is because I am already learning the
things I could pick up at a LUG (i.e. JavaServer Faces, web services, AJAX,
etc).

Would you go to your LUG meetings, more or less likely, if your major
presenter was a TV screen?

If it was just down the street, yes.  Right now I would have to travel about
160 miles round trip to get to the LUG that is closest to me, so no in that
case.  If you were to say that person would be doing in-depth teaching vs.
surface/beginner teaching then I would travel that much JUST to see a person
on a screen - as long as I was able to interact with them.  Sure I wouldn't
be able to hug them, but hugs from strangers are so over-rated ;-)

Would the next step be, why travel at all?  Why not just have a webcast at
home or work?  Or do you still like a little personal interaction?

I think it will be a mix.  My company, for instance, only meets in person
once every 1.5 weeks on average. Enough to keep relationships strong and
give us the ability to see the look on the other person's face when we are
talking about important subjects.  I could see a semi-annual or quarterly
face to face meeting of LUGs with the remainder being online web conf
meetings.  For those that can't make it you could simply record and they
watch at their convenience (we are getting used to this approach in society
- I love my DVR. I never miss "The Office" - go Dwight Schrutte!)

Aaron Bartell

AS/400/iSeries/i5UserGroup bits the dust

Are you currently going to your LUG meetings?
Would you go to your LUG meetings, more or less likely, if your major
presenter was a TV screen?
Would the next step be, why travel at all?  Why not just have a webcast at
home or work?  Or do you still like a little personal interaction?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108