Neil -

Ken,

Thanks - I'll look into that, but the local users aren't going through any router - there are on one local subnet with a simple switch, the only router is on the line out to the ISP - and is owned by the ISP. But I think what you're saying is they may be able to get the ISP to program the router so it redirects traffic bound for the external IP address back to the internal LAN addresses. There are no networking people on site.

You got it. Unless the server has the external IP address and it is directly exposed to the internet (a very bad idea anyway), the router is already NATing incoming connections to the internal IP address. Since the external IP address is not in the LAN subnet, the packets from the client will go to the router to be sent out to the internet. The router just needs to NAT them to the internal IP address, the same as it would for connections to the external IP address coming in from the outside world.

I use this method on my home network to handle traffic from my LAN to my server in my DMZ when accessing my own website and mail server. I use a Linux-based router/firewall though, since I'm handling two separate WAN connections as well as the LAN and DMZ. The DSL modem and cablemodem both run in bridge mode so the Linux-based router has the external IP addresses. If the ISP's DSL modem can't handle the routing properly, you could potentially do that as well, though in your case the configuration would be simpler if you only have one WAN and a LAN.

Ken
http://www.kensims.net/
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or anyone in their right mind.