I have a couple of applications that are experiencing conflicts on record locking and I am not sure what to look for.

App 1 is a maintenance application on the file. The CLLE program that calls the app has the following OVRBDF statement in it:

OVRDBF     FILE(MYFILE1) MBR(&MBR) RCDFMTLCK((FMTFILE1 +
*SHRUPD)) OVRSCOPE(*JOB)
When I run the program and use the WRKOBJLCK command I see the following:

Job          User         Lock      Status          Scope
QPADEV0005   PETE         *SHRRD     HELD           *JOB

Details show:

Object Member
Object           Library     Type           Lock           Status    Locks
MYFILE1     MYLIB  *FILE-PHY  *SHRRD    HELD    YES

The member locks show the following detail:

Member       Lock Type   Lock      Status   Share   Scope
MYMBR       MBR        *SHRRD     HELD            *JOB
                     DATA       *SHRRD     HELD            *JOB
                     DATA       *SHRUPD    HELD            *JOB

Records are retrieved in the RPG program with a CHAIN(N)

App 2 is a posting application that posts data from MYFILE1 into another file. CL looks like:

OVRDBF     FILE(MYFILE1) MBR(&CMBR) RCDFMTLCK((FMTFILE1 +
*SHRUPD)) OVRSCOPE(*JOB)
Records are retrieved in the RPG program using READ.

In both RPG programs the F spec is:
FMYFILE1 UF A E K DISK I get the following error (RNQ1218) when I run the posting program and someone is in the maintenance program with a record retrieved:
Unable to allocate a record in file MYFILE1 (R C G D F).

Where am I missing the boat? I thought the OVRDBF would allow the file to be read and updated by both programs. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks,

Pete Helgren