From SG247271 (V5R4 Technical Overview Redbook) which just came out last
week, it says IOP is needed for a 5737 under V5R3 but not for a 5776
under V5R4.  Makes me think a 'feature conversion' or renaming occurs
under V5R4 and it runs IOP-less.

2.5.4 Small Computer System Interface controller for disks with 90 MB
cache

This SCSI controller can be used with or without an IOP for internal
SCSI devices. A
replacement for #5703 (with 40 MB write cache), this controller has 90MB
write cache
functionality and RAID5 and RAID6 capabilities.

Like the 5703, this new controller can use internal port(s) only for up
to 12 disk drives. This
new controller is supported in processor enclosure or I/O tower/drawer
PCI slots.

This controller comes in the following features:

 With IOP V5R3 and up

- #5737 Disk controller for i5 systems, Models 270 and 8xx

 Without IOP and V5R4*

- #5776 Disk controller for i5 systems

- #0647 Disk controller for Linux or AIX

Figure 2-11 offers a comparison between #2780 and the new #5737. You can
see, ignoring
any cost considerations, the #2780 remains the highest performance
capacity disk controller
available on a System i model.

<insert graphic here>

Figure 2-11 FC 2780 and 5737 comparison chart

The #2780 PCI-X Ultra4 RAID Disk Controller with its 235 MB write/ 757
MB compressed
write cache, or rather its #5580 version that includes the 2780 disk
controller with an auxiliary
235 MB write/ 757 MB compressed write cache to improve cache data
redundancy, should be
the lead-with disk controller for internal drives in most situations.

However there are some situations where you might recommend a #5737 or
0648 (direct
attach Linux/AIX). Situations of this kind include:

 There is a small or modest number of disk drives being supported,
especially if mirroring is
to be used.
 Performance is not the primary consideration.
 Price is a very important consideration and there are a modest number
of disk drives.

Remember there is also a version of the #2757 PCI-X Ultra4 RAID Disk
Controller, the #5581,
which provides a 2757 disk controller with 235 MB write cache/757 MB
compressed write
cache and the additional auxiliary write cache to improve cache data
redundancy.

John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer
Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc.