Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:21:36 -0700
From: "Dave Odom" <Dave.Odom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Security and "package" application software
To: <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Is the following normal for i5 "package" vendors:

You buy and install a vendor's applications and, while they
have an
internal security mechanism for allowing users to each and
every piece
of their application, there is NO SECURITY on the files of
the vendor's
applications if any user has command line access, Query
access, ODBC,
FTP, etc.   Is this normal in the i5 world that a vendor
would leave you
"open Kimono"  when comes to back doors?

I understood that reputable vendor's created their software
such that
all files were MAYBE READ ONLY to end users and all access
to change
data was via the application's authority and the application
gained
those authorities during installation using a userid like
QSECOFR or
QPGMR or other designated user with special privileges to
objects.

What am I missing about the i5 world and its typical
application vendor
and their development methodologies?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-