More than likely the DSPMSG screen was never set up to handle the formatting codes since you don't normally see them in the message text portion of messages. Normally it's found only in the secondary help text of the message and impromptu messages are all message text without the benefit of secondary help text.

The solution is to not use impromptu messages by creating a message file, adding a message ID to it for you message with the formatting you want, and sending that in the QMHSNDM API call instead of the impromptu message. If you have data that was concatenated within your impromptu message then you'll have to use substitution variables in the message text and help text and pass formatted message data to the API.

AGlauser@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying send a message to QSYSOPR as a last resort error message from a program which parses incoming vendor data. I'm using the QMHSNDM API, which works great. I came across a document in the V5R1 InfoCentre which mentioned using &N, &P, and &B as newline, paragraph and indented newline respectively in the impromptu message data. I couldn't find mention of these codes in the V5R3 InfoCentre, but I thought I'd try them anyway. This is only half working. If I do WRKMSGQ QSYSOPR, the formatting codes show up in the message text, making it rather ugly. If I hit F1 on the message to get the message details, everything is formatted nicely.

Am I missing something? Is this a deprecated feature? Does anyone have any suggestions for formatting messages of this type?

TIA,
Adam

Attention:
The above message and/or attachment(s) is private and confidential and is intended only for the people for which it is addressed. If you are not named in the address fields, ignore the contents and delete all the material. Thank you. Have a nice day.

For more information on email virus scanning, security and content
management, please contact administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxx