From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James H H Lampert
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 5:24 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: File that has records constantly being added and deleted

Here's the situation:

We have a file. Any arbitrary number of jobs can put
records into the file; a single dedicated job reads the
records, in arrival sequence, processes them, and deletes
them. We thus have a file that rarely has more than a few
active records, but accumulates lots and lots of deleted
ones.

Is there a way to squeeze out deleted records without
having to grab an exclusive lock on the file? Or would it
be more sensible to set it to re-use deleted records, and
modify the processing program to read by key? Or are there
other ideas?

--
JHHL