All,

Playing around with iA Web.  Tried to send a spool file out as an email
and got the following error:

Sending the printer output as a mail attachment failed.
Sending failed; nested exception is: javax.mail.MessagingException:
Unknown SMTP host: meaa.mea.com; nested exception is:
java.net.UnknownHostException: meaa.mea.com

Looking at the docs, I found the following:
"To use the Mail function, you must first have an e-mail address and an
SMTP server configured for your user profile. These values are retrieved
from the iSeries system directory, if they are configured. Otherwise,
use Customize to set these values. Administrator access is required to
set the SMTP server value. Administrator access might also be required
to set the e-mail address."

But the online help says the following:
SMTP mail server
Attachment function. A typical                  environment would have
this server name configured at the *PUBLIC group setting
level. The Mail as Attachment option is not available until an SMTP
server name and                         e-mail address are configured
for the user.
Valid values:   Any valid SMTP mail server name
Default value:          None

If I look at policy for my user profile, for the SMTP server setting is
has:
Derived From: Directory Entry           Setting: meaa.mea.com

The online help says the following about the derived from:
Directory entry - Indicates the policy setting has been derived from a
field in the user's profile directory entry in the system directory. The
SMTP mail server policy is initialized with the SMTP domain field and
the E-mail address policy is initialized with the SMTP user ID field.
Both of these policies are under the Mail category.

Since the directory entry from my user profile has cwilt as the SMTP
user ID and meaa.mea.com as the SMTP domain, I supposed what I'm seeing
in the policy and the error I'm seeing makes sense.

Now we do have SMTP configure on the iSeries and we send out emails from
the green screen all the time using SNDDST and a third party app.  The
iSeries isn't our company mail server however; the iSeries SMTP is
configured with FIREWALL(*YES) MAILROUTER(<IP Address of Exchange
Server>)

Now to my questions:
1) If I enter either my iSeries IP or the IP of our Exchange server in
the iA Web policy for my user name, the sending of the spool file works.
Which would be prefered?  It seems to me the answer would be the
Exchange server because if my iSeries IP is there I'm basically using it
as a relay right?

2) Can the SMTP server setting be specified in the system directory or
the *PUBLIC group policy as the first quote seems to say?  How is it
specified in the system directory?

3) I changed the *PUBLIC group policy, but that seem to have no effect.
I get the same error.  Why?

Thank you,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America