I have used Management Central to play with PTF's.  Not whole upgrades.  I
have run into issues with the compare and update ptf's with a lot of
coreq's and prereq's and what not.  The list does a pretty good job of
letting you know what you have, and do not have.  But I forget what issues
I was having on the actual update.  What I do now is use that to get the
list of "missing" and "extra" ptf's.  Then I order both, along with any
others of interest at:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/recommendedfixes
via fix central into an image catalog and ... oh well, let me start
over...

In summary (as documented in our "preparations for downtime" instructions)
(and all of these steps are done a few days before actually kicking people
off):

Go to the web site:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/recommendedfixes
QSF98540        Latest cume     _________________
                Next cume date  _________________
You need to check out the cume cover letter to see what level of cum is
out.  Compare this to the level of cum on each installed 400 with the
command
WRKPTFGRP
SF99540 is the cume group.  The level is what cume we are on.  For example
6115 means that we are on year 06 and julian day 115 level of cume.
GDI             Cume    ______________  Current (Y/N)   __
GDIHQ           Cume    ______________  Current (Y/N)   __
GDISYS  Cume    ______________  Current (Y/N)   __
GDWEB   Cume    ______________  Current (Y/N)   __
MAILTWO Cume    ______________  Current (Y/N)   __

Now we'll ftp downloads of these ptf's.  We will order the cume separately
from the rest.
http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/support/fixes/
- Product family = System i5 family
- Product = i5/OS and OS/400
- Ordering option = Groups, HIPER, Cumulative fixes
- OS level = V5R4
When prompted for a user id and a password, if you do not have one, or
cannot remember your password, search the options off to the right.
- Select just the cume, SF99540.
- Click on Add to my download list.
- Select Continue.
- Order name = CUME
- PTFs and cover letters
- Check on
- Include all requisite PTFs
- For FTP Download or CD-ROM media, include requisite PTFs so they can be
applied to multiple systems
- Uncheck the following:
        - Order only the PTFs required for products that exist on the
system
- Select Continue
- Drink coffee while watching the stupid Java icon perform it's circle
jerk.
- Note:  You can change the default values for your "shipping information"
with the command WRKCNTINF, then "2. Work with local service information"
- Download CD ROM images, Download CD ROM images using FTP
- Directory name = CUME
- Base file name = CUME
- Wait on email with more information to arrive from IBM.

While you are waiting for the email on each iSeries do the following (some
of these steps might already be done):
md '/fixes'
CRTDEVOPT DEVD(OPTVRT01) RSRCNAME(*VRT) ONLINE(*YES) TEXT('Virtual optical
drive for image catalog')
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(OPTVRT01) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*ON)
CRTIMGCLG IMGCLG(CUME) DIR('/fixes/cume') TEXT('PTF image catalog')

Go to the web site:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.nsf/sline003home
Select 'All Group PTFs by Release'.  Select R540.  Review the list
carefully.  If any of them sound sexy to you then update the following
table, and the downtime instructions.
V5R4            PTF's required  SF99539, SF99504, SF99321, SF99317,
SF99316, SF99315,
                                SF99311, SF99296, SF99291, SF99186,
SF99139, SF99114_

Now we'll ftp downloads of these ptf's.  We will order the groups
separately from the rest.
http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/support/fixes/
- Product family = System i5 family
- Product = i5/OS and OS/400
- Ordering option = Groups, HIPER, Cumulative fixes
- OS level = V5R4
When prompted for a user id and a password, if you do not have one, or
cannot remember your password, search the options off to the right.
- Select the desired groups
- Click on Add to my download list.
- Select Continue.
- Order name = GROUP
- PTFs and cover letters
- Check on
- Include all requisite PTFs
- For FTP Download or CD-ROM media, include requisite PTFs so they can be
applied to multiple systems
- Uncheck the following:
        - Order only the PTFs required for products that exist on the
system
- Select Continue
- Drink coffee while watching the stupid Java icon perform it's circle
jerk.
- Note:  You can change the default values for your "shipping information"
with the command WRKCNTINF, then "2. Work with local service information"
- Download CD ROM images, Download CD ROM images using FTP
- Directory name = GROUP
- Base file name = GROUP
- Wait on email with more information to arrive from IBM.

While you are waiting for the email on each iSeries do the following (some
of these steps might already be done):
md '/fixes'
CRTDEVOPT DEVD(OPTVRT01) RSRCNAME(*VRT) ONLINE(*YES) TEXT('Virtual optical
drive for image catalog')
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(OPTVRT01) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*ON)
CRTIMGCLG IMGCLG(GROUP) DIR('/fixes/group') TEXT('PTF image catalog')

Go to the web site:
http://www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4apar.nsf/c79815e083182fec862564c00079d117/f1914289734d926e8625719c003c6f97?OpenDocument
V5R4            PTF's required
We'll call these 'BPCS -540'
Read the informational APAR carefully.  There will probably be some manual
steps you'll have to take to take advantage of these ptf's.

Go to the web site:
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/access/casp.html
Fill in the boxes below.  You will use these numbers later to order them.
iSeries Access for Windows
Service Pack
V5R4M0

Go to the web site for Domino ptf's:
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/domino/support/ptf.html
Select "Required Fixes for i5/OS V5R4"
Check at the bottom to see if there are any PTF's listed for 5722-999,
5722-SS1 or 5722-TC1 which are NOT available on a cum.  Write these down.
We'll call these 'dom ptfs-540'.
Go to the web site for Sametime ptf's:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=477&context=SSKTXQ&q=ptf+iseries&uid=swg21089996&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q=iseries%2Bsametime&uid=sim1a862d335ed543b2885256c40005a192a
Check to see if there are any ptf's for V5R4 of the operating system which
are NOT available on a cum.  Add these to the following list.
V5R4            PTF's required

Go to this web site and shoot through all applicable products:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/recommendedfixes
PTF's required
Not only do we use iSeries Navigator to compare PTF's on systems, but we
used to use it to distribute them.  Now we will just reorder them.  The
reason we do that is to allow all systems to use the ftp download method.
Lot less manual labor.
Use iSeries Navigator to compare PTF's with all machines.
Open up Management Central.
Open up Endpoint Systems.
Right click on GDISYS.
Select Fixes.
Select Compare and Update.
Your model system should be GDISYS.
Your target systems should be:  GDI, GDIHQ, GDWEB, MAILTWO and WAS520.
Deselect 5763XC1 - Client Access/400 for Windows 3.1
Select 'Show compare results only'.
If prompted to refresh inventory, please do so.
Open up Management Central.
Open up task activity.
'Collect Inventory' is the task you want to open up.
During this time you should also have another window which opened when you
started the compare.  The title of this window is Compare Results.  When
the activity is done let's focus on this window.
Check out each system for missing PTF's.  Ignoring any 'marker' ptf's.
These marker PTF's begin with:  TAP, TCP, TLP.  Examples include:  tap006,
tcp006, tlp006.  Normally machines which have the PTF, like GDI and GDISYS
were once on a beta version of the OS.  Machines which do not have the
marker ptf's, like GDIHQ, were never on a beta version of the OS.
It might be advisable to pick another system as a model system and repeat
these steps.  This will search for PTF's which were sent directly to a
development machine and might not be on GDISYS.
Write down all Missing/Extra ptf's:

Now we'll ftp downloads of these ptf's.  We will order the groups
separately from the rest.
http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/support/fixes/
- Product family = System i5 family
- Product = i5/OS and OS/400
- Ordering option = Individual fixes
- OS level = V5R4
When prompted for a user id and a password, if you do not have one, or
cannot remember your password, search the options off to the right.
- Enter the desired ptfs
- Click on Add to my download list.
- Select Continue.
- Order name = MISC
- PTFs and cover letters
- Check on
- Include all requisite PTFs
- For FTP Download or CD-ROM media, include requisite PTFs so they can be
applied to multiple systems
- Uncheck the following:
        - Order only the PTFs required for products that exist on the
system
- Select Continue
- Drink coffee while watching the stupid Java icon perform it's circle
jerk.
- Note:  You can change the default values for your "shipping information"
with the command WRKCNTINF, then "2. Work with local service information"
- Download CD ROM images, Download CD ROM images using FTP
- Directory name = MISC
- Base file name = MISC
- Wait on email with more information to arrive from IBM.

While you are waiting for the email on each iSeries do the following (some
of these steps might already be done):
md '/fixes'
CRTDEVOPT DEVD(OPTVRT01) RSRCNAME(*VRT) ONLINE(*YES) TEXT('Virtual optical
drive for image catalog')
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(OPTVRT01) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*ON)
CRTIMGCLG IMGCLG(MISC) DIR('/fixes/misc') TEXT('PTF image catalog')

Once you get the email and ftp the files down into this '/fixes' directory
you'll have to do the following for each binary file(s) received:
ADDIMGCLGE IMGCLG(CUME) FROMFILE('/fixes/cume/TheFtpFileNameHere')
TOFILE(*FROMFILE) REPLACE(*INSERT)
You might be able to do the following on a system to get the ftp'ed file
from a central system.  Let's say you ftp'ed them to GDISYS.  Then on GDI
you'd do:
MD '/QFileSvr.400/GDISYS'
ADDIMGCLGE IMGCLG(CUME) FROMFILE('/QFileSvr.400/gdisys/fixes/C6155074_05')
 TOFILE(*FROMFILE) REPLACE(*INSERT) replacing C6155074_05 with whatever
you ftp'ed down.
When you've repeated this for each binary you've downloaded then you can
do:
LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(CUME) DEV(OPTVRT01)
VFYIMGCLG IMGCLG(CUME) TYPE(*PTF) SORT(*YES)
WRKIMGCLGE CUME
GO PTF
8. Install program temporary fix package

                 Install Options for Program Temporary Fixes
                                                            System:   GDI
Type choices, press Enter.

  Device  . . . . . . . . .   OPTVRT01     Name, *SERVICE

  Automatic IPL . . . . . .   N            Y=Yes
                                           N=No

  Restart type  . . . . . .   *SYS         *SYS, *FULL

  PTF type  . . . . . . . .   1            1=All PTFs
                                           2=HIPER PTFs and HIPER LIC
fixes
                                             only
                                           3=HIPER LIC fixes only
                                           4=Refresh Licensed Internal
Code

  Other options . . . . . .   N            Y=Yes
                                           N=No
<enter>
Let it do it's thing.
When back to the menu;
F3=Exit
LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(CUME) DEV(OPTVRT01) OPTION(*UNLOAD)
WRKIMGCLGE CUME
4=Remove, repeat for each entry
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(OPTVRT01) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*OFF)
WRKLNK '/fixes/*'
Delete any files that you are completed with.

Repeat for the groups, then the misc PTFs.