On 9/12/06, rob@xxxxxxxxx <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would argue that you DO need all of the aforementioned features.  Not
only do you need the security to block improper internet usage,

how?  the web server runs with the authority of a single user on the
system ( I am not an expert ), then the web server itself and the web
apps implement their own security in terms of what the browsers have
access to.  If amazon.com was hosted on an i5 the process of the user
logging in, ordering a book and billing it to their stored credit card
number would have nothing to do with i5 security.

but you
also need it to block improper back office usage.  And, using a set of
subsystems to manage data queue responses, Domino servers, etc to service
your website really help.

ok, but I dont see this as close to the complexity of managing the
traditional mix of as400 applications.  job queues, scheduled jobs,
reports on output queues, background jobs supporting the interactive
users, all the options for object security.

 And the database tools to analyze why things
are going sour has converted at least one person off of MS SQLServer.
(Forget where I saw that - perhaps somewhere on
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/db2/ )

yes, the system could compete on its merits. I see a downside for a
company running a web site on the i5 because a need for more web site
capacity could easily require a very costly upgrade. i5/OS costs $40K
per core. That is many times higher priced then the p5 or Windows.

-Steve