There is a side to this that has not been considered yet. And that is
the number of OS licenses a shop purchases after making the choice of
which one. In my part of the world just about every iSeries shop I know
has one iSeries that runs many applications. Maybe a second smaller one
for development but most I know are like us, they develop and test on
the same system as production work runs on. Of those shops that I know
run AIX they usually have multiple RS/6000s for production and multiple
test systems. We have only one app that runs on AIX and yet that team
says they can't function if they don't have at least 2 systems and they
have asked for 3. When you move to Windows it gets even worse. Every app
needs two servers as they insist on clustering everything, there are 3
just for doing directory work, 2 for DNS, 3 web servers, 3 SQL servers
(and we don't even have one database with more than 5,000 records in it
on SQL), 2 portal servers, and the list goes on. The more of something
you sell the lower the cost per unit.

stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx 9/8/2006 8:54:49 AM >>>