Dave Odom wrote:
   8. Performance of ODBC vs. other access methods (Dave Odom)

You wrote:

"I think it does answer your question, although it isn't an answer that
helps
much.

I interpret "it depends" to mean that there is no prevailing wisdom.  I
give
that answer a lot of credence because it was offered by several
luninaries
in the community.

Obviously, if I am interpreting incorrectly I hope someone will correct
me."

No, it doesn't answer the question at all as it doesn't speak to ODBC
vs.(means comparison) other access methods at all.   Instead, it speaks
to indexing strategies and what function I might be doing.

Dave:

Part of the problem is that you've left off some potential qualifiers. This forces readers to make assumptions that might not be valid.

For a particular example, are you wanting to limit to SQL 'set at a time' access? or do you need record-level I/O? If you really need record-level I/O, then perhaps ODBC shouldn't be considered. Or, do you have a client platform in mind (hardware and/or software)? The response might differ significantly if the client is another AS/400.

I think you are right about one thing... there is no prevailing wisdom
on this subject.  Perhaps I'm on the wrong forum.

So far, it's hard to tell. _In general,_ ODBC can be "fine". There certainly have been specific issues that have needed attention in the past, such as when the Jet engine might have been involved; but many issues have resolved themselves if the clients are prepared properly. Further, ODBC drivers from vendors other than IBM might act differently -- there are multiple OS/400 database servers that can accept remote SQL statements and they can have different characteristics. Would potential differences in cost make a difference? Perhaps you have iSeries Access licenses available and don't want to deal with another vendor (or maybe you _want_ to deal with another vendor). Further, other possibilities exist such as OLEDB; but perhaps they're not appropriate for the environment that you have in mind.

If you could give just a _general_ description of the environment, something more than basic guidelines could be suggested. With nothing to go on, there just isn't much to say that's directly useful (IMO).

Tom Liotta