Agree 100% that "it depends".  We were doing some reporting from
EnterpriseOne using Crystal Reports via ODBC.  Horrible performance.
3.5-4 minutes with one user and if there were >5 concurrent users
results wouldn't be returned before the client's timed out (>10
minutes).  The SQL statements were rather complex (about 4 pages printed
with no whitespace) and had to de-normalize portions of the normalized
database.  They also had lots of TRIMs and other things that forced the
query optimizer to not be as efficient as it could be.

We worked with Rochester to tune the SQL and tune the database.  A lot
of analysis and about 5 LFs later the SQL statement coming from Crystal
was drastically simpler (<1 page) and user response times dropped to
under 4 seconds.  We're still not sure how well it'll scale, but it
appears scalability issues will likely exist on the Crystal side before
I get too worried about the iSeries.

BTW, the iSeries is a 570 with 1.5 CPUs (~4800 CPWs), 16GB RAM, and 36
15K RPM disks in the LPAR and does have the DB2/SMP LPP.  The Crystal
Enterprise server is on Windows on a dual Xeon with 4GB RAM.  Right now
they're WAN connected but the pipe is nowhere near capacity and will be
upped to near Gb anyway.

John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer
Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc.