From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:38 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: CHGPGM Speed

Granted, I am on a beefed up 520 but that is almost instantaneous.

Try this:
1-Once again time interactive.  This time do it by looking at your
joblog.
 You should see two messages.
CHGPGM PGM(ROB/AADELME) USRPRF(*OWNER) USEADPAUT(*YES)
Program AADELME in ROB changed.
Hit F1 on both.
Record times
09:26:38
09:26:38
Now, I did notice one discrepancy.  If I do a CHGPGM <F4> it records the

time that I first prompted for the command, and NOT the time that it
started running.  Because the first time that I ran CHGPGM it said 10
seconds - no flipping way it was that slow.  I even ran a CHPGM
USRPRF(*USER) USEADPAUT(*NO) and back without prompting and the last
CHGPGM was subsecond.  Make sure that you are NOT counting the prompt
time.

2 - Now that you have discounted the prompt time let's try submitting
the
command to batch with
SBMJOB CMD(CHGPGM PGM(ROB/AADELME) USRPRF(*OWNER) USEADPAUT(*YES))
JOB(CHGPGM) LOG(4 0 *SECLVL) LOGCLPGM(*YES)
Look at that joblog.
09:30:37 - CHGPGM PGM(ROB/AADELME) USRPRF(*OWNER) USEADPAUT(*YES)
09:30:37 - Program AADELME in ROB changed.

What this may show us is that your 820 may be constrained interactively
by
the "interactive tax" that IBM puts on it.  If so, then the more you can

SBMJOB on, the better.

Understand?

So is Kronos adopting an "application only" strategy where the data is
secured and the only way to access it is through programs that adopt
authority?  Speaking as a customer of Kronos time clock software that's
kind of cool.