Another method is to comment one half of the statement and run it. If it fails, comment half the remaining statements. If it doesn't fail, uncomment half the commented half. Repeat until the puppy barks. Then uncomment lines one at a time until you have them all barking. The idea is to get to a point where something, anything, is working. Then add back lines a few at a time until the error(s) are eliminated.

If you will assemble your statement before the opnqryf line, then you can

    CHGVAR  VAR(&SELECT) VALUE('Stuff')
    SNDPGMMSG MSG(&SELECT)
    GOTO END
    OPNQRYF
END  ENDPGM

and your message will appear directly on your screen without running debug. You may choose to end the job and display the job log to view the statement since it is so long. This method would be useful if you have two sessions and can run the CL in one and mend it in the other.

I like this method when I have a lots of repeats of the problem to solve, like it appears you may have here.

rick baird wrote:
or, based on the code you posted, this should work too.

CHGVAR &QSLT
VALUE('GTBDTE *EQ ' *CAT &BOOK *CAT +
 ' *AND GTDIV  *EQ "' *CAT &DIV *TCAT    +
'" *AND GTSOUR *EQ %VALUES("BI","AR")  +
   *AND GTACCT *EQ %VALUES(3120, 3140, 3150, 3170, 3170)')

this assumes of course these fields in your file, GTACCT and GTBDTE
are numeric, and GTDIV and GTSOUR are alpha.

compile with *srcdbg, then STRDBG OPMSRC(*yes), and step through the
CHGVAR and see what you get.