 wrote on Wed, 09 Aug 2006 17:18:30 GMT:

If this is true, then why doesn't this show on the help for
SAVLIB or SAVOBJ?  Why don't I see this in the release notes?
Where did you hear this from, Sue?  If the description you say
is true then I see no difference between *SYSDFN and *LIB in
V5R4.  If they are identical then why would IBM do that (bug)?

I'm not sure where or if the change was documented. I recently got
pulled into a customer situation where some of this was discussed
and that's how I've learned about it.

I believe various limits relating to saves were increased in V5R3.
Unfortunately, neither *LIB or *SYSDFN SWA options were changed to
take advantage of these increased limits.   V5R4 introduced changes
to take advantage of the new limits when doing SWA saves.

*SYSDFN will still reach multiple checkpoints during the course of
the save.  However, it's trying to be smarter about it, take into
account the increased limits, and when possible not create multiple
checkpoints per library.  My understanding is that the quantity of
objects (in other words, the potential for hitting the limits) in
addition to the checkpoint processing will determine how it all
works and how much *SYSDFN will differ from *LIB when doing a SWA
save.

HTH,