$5-$10K seems pretty high to me.

It's not that difficult.

The real expense in setting up LPAR is the hardware.  You need addional
disk, disk controllers, console connection, LAN card (optional really
but recommended), and the physical space to put it all into.  Your BP
should be more than willing to design the LPAR configuration assuming
you'll be buying the hardware from the same BP.  After the hardware
placement has been spelled out, its just a matter of installing the
hardware and creating the partition.  IBM includes a wizard to help you
with this task, see
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzait/rzaitc
reate.htm

I personally like to download a copy of the LPAR Validation tool and
work up my own design or double check my BPs. (Now called the System
Planning Tool)
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/support/tools/systemplanningtool/

Note that IBM doesn't recommend two partitions.  They recommend a
minimum of 3:
1) Controlling Partition
2) Production Partition
3) other partition.

But like everybody else I know about we only have two
1) Controlling/Production
2) Development

Just my .02

Charles Wilt