things were different back then, but it's usually all in how you look at things

many small customers can be a beautiful thing, depending on how well dealings with them are managed

for a current example of a business building itself from the small, see

   http://www.37signals.com

not payroll (sorry, Anne) but still real applications as reasonably priced easily adopted services for small businesses providing a "money stream" while being the opposite of "office" applications with a small set of only appropriate features - the sort of apps, like the gApps, etc. that have BillCo concerned enough to be adopting "Live" strategies

provides a glimpse of one direction in which that (large) market (of small businesses) may head, routing around the "need" for big hardware or support staff

they've also extracted a web application framework from one of the apps and are having some success with it

   http://www.rubyonrails.org

thx & hth,

--Jerome

quoting Jason on the 37signals svn (signal vs. noise) blog...
Small businesses rule. They drive this economy, they provide the jobs, they provide the innovation, they provide the ideas. They fuel it all. Many are never noticed. Many are taken for granted. But people press on because it’s their passion. Small businesses are about passion and that’s why they’re so important. Passion and curiosity drive great things.