REUSEDLT(*NO), the default, should go to the end of the file.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             Jerry Adams
             <jerry@bwwholesal
             e.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             07/31/2006 05:41                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: REUSEDLT *NO and INSERTS

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Makes sense, Al, but I thought he said REUSEDLT(*NO).  In that case, I
would, also, have expected the records to be added at the end of the file.

To ascertain if the records are really added at the end (or not),
wouldn't it be possible to issue an OVRDBF specifying a starting
position based on *RRN, then run DSPPFM and go to the bottom of the
file.  I.e., if the file had 1-n deleted records, and one record was
added to a file with REUSEDLT(*No), wouldn't that (added) record be the
last record in such a list?  For a REUSEDLT(*Yes) file, it could be
anywhere (relatively speaking).  Right?

             * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
             615.995.7024
fax
             615.995.1201
email
             jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Al Barsa wrote:

When you open a file specified as REUSEDLT(*YES), is creates a "deleted
record map" for the file, and inserts them in the deleted spots.  A second
open of the file for add will get it's own map.  i.e.:  If someone else
deleted a record while you have it open, your job won't see that deleted
record.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

            "Ryan Hunt"

            <ryan.hunt@highwo

            ods.com>                                                   To

            Sent by:                  midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx

            midrange-l-bounce                                          cc

            s@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                                                                  Subject

                                      REUSEDLT *NO and INSERTS

            07/31/2006 03:07

            PM

            Please respond to

            Midrange Systems

                Technical

               Discussion

            <midrange-l@midra

                nge.com>

Question about a file with REUSEDLT *NO.  I figured this would be the best
REUSE setting for a file that receives large bulk inserts.  Essentially,
we
end up deleting as much as 10% of the file and then INSERT a slew of
updated
records as one batch.  I assumed this would place the records at the end
of
the file - which would be easiest and quickest.  Howerver, when viewing
the
QZDASOINIT job running the insert and selecting option 14 and then hitting
F11, there is a display for "Relative Record" - which I assume is the
current ordinal record position currently locked by the INSERT.

Well, the relative record number is jumping all over the place within the
file while I'm expecting to see an incrementally increasing relative
record
number (previous maximum ordinal plus 1) since I'm expecting records to be
inserted at the end of the file.

Something else I was considering is maybe I am seeing the relative record
number of the unique index over the table - verifying the constraint
before
each insert.  Maybe each insert is seeking on the unique constraint and I
just happen to see the ordinal position of the seek at the exact moment I
hit F11?

Anyway, can anyone add some color to the "relative record" display on the
Display Open File screen...as well as confirm that REUSEDLT *NO is the
fastest insert option.

Thanks

Ryan

list