FYI all:

IBM has changed the .FDF (file description file) format with the release of V5R4 from the cryptic version dating from PC Support/38 to a more Windows like .INI format.

Looks like this will provide for more enhancements (metadata possibilities) as the push to be more SQL-like comes to the forefront.

OLD:

PCFDF
PCFT 1
PCFO 3,1,6,1,1