From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Booth Martin
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 1:53 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: OS/400 topics

OS/400 *is* mainstream, with a heritage going back to at least the
1970s, and arguably well before.  It is perhaps the only true descendant

of the Hollerith card.  OS/400 is an integrated application & data base,

including security, communications, development, and back-up/system
recovery all included in the package.

One of the reasons for the challenges you are facing with finding the
information you asked for is that the developers and end users are
insulated from much of what you are asking about.  There is no need for
customers, developers, and users to know; there is no business advantage

in knowing much of what you ask for.

I am greatly simplifying, and in doing so I am doing a disservice to
both Apple and IBM, but the IBM midrange platform is tightly integrated
and is provided as a business solution, for businesses to do their back
office work on time and with controlled costs.  This is much the same
philosophy that I believe Apple uses with their product line?

This response is greatly simplified but just because these answers are
simplified don't construe this midrange platform as degraded or out
dated.

Others will tell you the details I am sure, but as the rest of the
industry struggles with 64-bit technology, you should realize we are
moving toward 128-bit technology.  We have been fully 64-bit for several

years now; this includes both the  operating system (including the data
base) and *all* of the applications.  No other commonly available
platform can boast that so far as I know?

I hope I haven't made any bonehead remarks, but if I have someone will
set you straight.  Good luck.

N W wrote:
Hello, I'm looking for technical data on the OS/400.

I would like to know how does it compare to mainstream OS, if it is a
batch processing system or interactive, and a little bit about his
heritage.

Some of the information that I need deals with the Name and type of
Kernel, Process Scheduling, Scheduling Algorithms and Policies
(Pre-emptive, Non Pre-emptive), Critical Sections, Mutex and Semaphores,
Managing Tasks and how they are applied into OS/400. It is a real
challenge to find information on these topics. I only know that QJOBSCD
is the Job Scheduler.

I have already e-mailed IBM and received an uncomplete answer. I know
it is very difficult (almost impossible) to have some of this
information. However, it would be very appreciated if you can at least
answer one of these questions, or refer me to someone who knows about
it. You are one of my last hopes.

Thanks very much to anyone that answers,

N. Wong

http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=5d21c51a-b161-4314-9b0e
-4911fb2b2e6d