That's not entirely true.  I see no reason why you can't hire a capable
graduate to learn RPG in a small shop.

When I graduated college 2 years ago, I got a job as a RPG programmer.
Never even heard or seen RPG before and the closest I've came would have
been a course on logic using COBOL.

Sat through hours of ATS training tapes learning RPG III and database
administration then learned RPG IV primarily on my own and from looking at
code we already have.  We are a shop of 3 programmers.

Of course, now I'm moving on and I don't care if my next job is with RPG
or not (preferably not) because I work in a shop that is resistant to
change (as far as RPG goes, anyway).  But that's another discussion, and
one that has been beaten to death on this list.

-Mike