Well, for one, I've got a client who has been implementing an Oracle
system for 6.5 years and $14,000,000 now. At this point, the Oracle system
now contains the General Ledger and the Payroll applications. Everything
else is still running on a System i. They previously had a model 500, but
they finally gave in last summer and installed a 520. In the 6 years, the
staff went from 2 people to 11. Right now, nobody is responsible for the
520, except to change the backup tapes. They call me when they need help
with the 520.

The impetus for this was due to the fact that the CFO wanted to be able to
click an icon and receive spreadsheets. The former IT guy had neither the
right tools nor the ability to be able to do that. They have since
acquired the tools and some technical assistance, and now, the accounting
department can get what they want from the 520. Many people are now
questioning the decision and the expenditure to go to Oracle. The CFO is
pushing ahead because he doesn't want to be embarrasses for making the
wrong decision. Time will tell as to who lasts longer - the 520 or the
CFO.

I was at another client this week (also running a model 500), that is into
year 3 of an Oracle implementation. Same kind of reasoning in their
decision.

Side note: Last fall I happened to be on a plane, sitting next to the
personal assistant to the number 2 guy at Oracle. She flat out told me
that she wishes that Oracle would get out of the application software
business and stick to the database stuff. She said they use their own
software to run their business, and that their systems in the headquarters
office are always having problems.

Try this sales pitch: Tell them that with the right configuration, they
can run Oracle on a System i. By the way, don't look for much help from
IBM. They will try to get the services work in implementing the Oracle
stuff.