I have been reading this thread with much interest. Initially, if I recall correctly, the question had to do with operating system upgrades (thus the subject line).

However, especially after reading Rob's and Larry's missives, I got to wondering if the "safe" sequence should be used even when doing the normal CUME, etc., installs. I installed the latest CUME, for example, to V5R3 two weeks ago to our backup box. At the same time I loaded the HIPER and DB Group that came with it, plus all of the other groups at which I was back level.

As I said, this is the procedure I take for all non-OS PTF's. Is this the wrong approach in that scenario? Never had a problem (that I know of) so far, but maybe I've just been lucky.

Thanks.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Haase, Justin C. wrote:

You know, by making the "e" small in cume, it illuminates the fact even
moreso that the first three letters could be perceived as naughty by
some.

If you do a CHGIPLA to restricted *YES, you don't have to change startup
programs.

--
Justin C. Haase - iSeries System Engineer
IBM Certified Systems Expert - System i