World: Original JDE, 5250-based, all apps are in RPG.  Fast & relatively
efficient.

OneWorld: "Client-server".  Database is about 98% the same as World, but
the app was re-written with a C code blower.  Multi-tier architecture
although you can do almost everything on iSeries.  Exceptions: Windows
is required for the Deployment Server, which manages objects for
development and promotion to the various environments like prototype &
production and the Java Generation machine, which takes the application
code and generates Java JAR/WAR files for the app server.  Users can
access via browser, Citrix, or "fat client" although fat clients are
best left to developers and app admins only as they chew through PC &
bandwidth resources.

EnterpriseOne: The latest version of OneWorld, renamed by PeopleSoft
when they acquired JD Edwards.  8.10 is, IIRC, the last version to
support Citrix clients; browser is recommended for users & fat client
for developers and maybe administrators.

When JDE came out with OW, they reduced the amount of new functionality
being developed for World.  Newer capabilities, like CRM, were added to
OW (and later E1) which World basically saw maintenance updates.  Psft &
later Oracle have taken decent care of World & OW to date, but it's
pretty clear E1 has the best future as long as Oracle maintains
ownership and establishes a migration path to their Fusion product that
will merge the Oracle ERPs to a single Java-based package.

Oracle still sells World & E1.  OW is basically dead except for support.

We use World for property management.  At the time we make the product
selection, JDE hadn't released the property management module for OW and
E1 didn't exist so our choice was clear.  We later added OW to the mix,
although we only use it for reporting as it included some canned reports
that were going to be difficult to write for World.  We feed data from
World to OW; there is no data entry in OW.

I'll point out that JDE had a shared database model called coexistence
within which World & OW could share the same database.  I believe
they've phased it out, though.  We never used it; we preferred to simply
replicate the data necessary to run our OW reports from the World db to
a smaller OW database.

We use E1 for other functions in addition to property management.
Things like project management.  In the very long run, we'll probably
create a second E1 instance and slowly migrate from World to E1 for our
base property management, but Oracle has pledged World support until at
least 2013 so we have time.

Other notes:
- The browser interfaces for OW & E1 run on top of WebSphere, so our
LPARs are running WAS Standard 5.0.
- OW & E1 produce PDFs as native output for reports; World produces
spool files.  For all environments we use a 3rd party tool to (for
World) convert to PDF and (for all) enhance the output with shading,
text boxes, color, etc.
- For OW & E1, the Deployment Server and Java Generation machine run
just fine on IxS cards, so you can easily keep the entire environment
within your iSeries frame.

John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer
Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc.