David,

To me a flight recorder is similiar to a mini-trace.  A flight recorder is
a serviceability mechanism that is always ON and can be used in problem
determination.  The data written is usually compact, unformatted, and only
meaningful within a very specific development effort. An analogy to an
aircraft flight recorder is good in that the data shows internal history
or state information, is overwritten over time (wraps within some
predetermined size), and has a limited (temporary) lifetime. Historically
different parts of the system have implemented their own flight recorders.
 One example would be that Work Management has a flight recorder that is
accessed by the Dump Flight Recorder API QWTDMPFR.  Flight recorders are
often very useful in that First Failure Data Capture (FFDC) captures
information relative to where you are, and flight recorders capture how
you got there.  When used together the goal is to avoid the need to
recreate a problem.

Detailed logging, that needs to be activated, sounds more like a trace or
logging function to me than a flight recorder.  It also suggests that
recreation of the problem is necessary.

New in V5R4 there is an internal flight recorder for i5/OS developers that
provides a common set of interfaces for working with a flight recorder.
Just as i5/OS in the past has externalized APIs for FFDC and Performance
Explorer (PEX), I would not be too surprised to see  future APIs in the
area of flight recorders.  I've even been known to hint as much in my
Integrating Serviceability into Your ILE Applications presentation :)

Bruce Vining

David Gibbs <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
06/09/2006 09:59 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Flight recorder?

Folks:

I know that there are some functions on OS400 that have the ability to
activate a 'flight recorder' to do detail logging (smtp mail sending is
one that I have experience with).

Is the flight record an official API that can be accessed by end-user
programs, or is it something that is implemented by the individual
applications?

Thanks!

david