From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerry Adams
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 1:30 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: [CPF0000] The globalization of COMMON,or is this the right
direction?

Trevor Perry wrote:

Paul,

It is so simple, it is obvious.

I agree, Trevor.

The problem, though, (as Joe pointed out verbosely) is parity and
equity.  If the rules (such as EPA, OSHA, etc.) were at least close
globally, this discussion would not be taking place.  The imbalance is
like mixing a glass of ice-water and a glass of hot water: the
temperature settles to a "happy" medium.  As Joe tried to illustrate,
this is simple leveling.

Companies do not outsource for any altruistic reasons; it is purely an
economic decision (as Paul pointed out).  If there were equity across
borders, why would one bother relocating a plant or a function?  It is
not a matter (always) of upgrading skill sets; when the skill sets are
very identical, this admonition fails of its own weight.  If it were a
matter of one, for example, refusing to give up good ol' RPG II and
learn RPG IV, you might be on to something, but it's not.

I'm not a protectionist at heart nor, do I think, xenophobic.  But I do
have a strong sense of fair play.  My grandfather's fault, I suppose.

However, parity has never existed and never will.  In fact, since you're

suggesting reading, may I reciprocate?  Alvin Toffler in "The Third
Wave" pretty much predicted all of this: globalization, the simultaneous

breakdown of some national units (USSR -> Russia, etc., as well as the
decentralization of the USA), as well as the centralization of
corporations.  It was pretty scary (to me) when I read it in the 80's.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice