From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Larry Bolhuis
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:10 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Changing a RAID configuration - Adding/removing disks

The biggest thing for me is that DST is the only place where you can
completely remove a drive from an ASP. You can drain it darn near MT
with i5/OS running but you cannot remove it.

Many disk functions are more efficient in DST because no i5/OS is up
there moving stuff!

There are other things that cannot be done in SST such as creating
Device Profiles for LAN consoles.

There are lots of other things that you can only do in DST but most of
those things are rarely used.

 - Larry

Pete Helgren wrote:
Thanks.

I'm going to ask a dumb question: What is the significant difference
between DST and SST?  Seems like sometimes I hear them used almost
interchangeably (e.g. "Use DST or SST to ....")  I used SST to add the

drives to the ASP after they were installed and when I went to try to
start device parity protection on them, that is when I ran into
trouble.

So, I'll need to be at the console to do this so it will have to wait
few weeks until I am back on site.  But it looks like it is pretty
straightforward,

I appreciate the help.

Pete

Larry Bolhuis wrote:

Pete,

 The new drivers are 70GB vs the original ones at 35GB. (But you knew

that!)  You should be able to start parity on those drives even now
with
the data on them. They can be in the same ASP, that's not a problem
they
will just be a different RAID set.

Boot the thing to DST to into Work with Disk Units, then tell it to
Start Disk Parity.  If it doesn't let you do that with the data still

there then you'll need to remove the new drives from the ASP, then
start
Parity, then add them back into ASP 1.

 - Larry