Hi.
If someone has set up UCS-2 as a primary language or even as secondary, I
am most interested.

Many As400's are set up to support multiple languages, and there is much
configuration of languages (primary and secondary)and codes pages.
One of the code pages is UCS-2, which supports the character glyphs for a
lot of languages including Chinese and Japanese.
My question is quite simple.  Can the AS400 be configured to have its
primary language as UCS-2 (meaning the characters of a lot of languages).
I know this means that to operate in UCS-2 the disk requirement is
doubled, but disk is cheap these days.  For backwards compatibility you
could still have the SBCS and/or DBCS languages loaded as secondary
languages so that one need not convert everything at once. When I raised
this question in the past there were many objections raised, such as 'the
sort sequences for packed fields would be broken' is one I can recall. The
collating sequence of UCS-2 is not the same as EBCDIC is another. Well I
dont have a problem with the sort sequences in MS Excell, as MS Win is I
believe a UCS-2 OS.
I am coping with DBCS Chinese and DBCS Japanese and SBCS English
environments but my dream is to have all these CCSID and code page this
and that issues dissapear by using UCS-2.  Sure we have a 64 bit processor
but our characters are still 8 bit (hey remember 7 bit ASCII).  Its time 8
bit characters sets went the way of 7 bit ASCII.  And hey, is not the much
vaunted architecture of the AS400 (sorry I cant cope with iseries, I5,
System I etc  heck lets call it a SYSTEM 39)  ideally suited to such a
setup. (OH NO now the AS400 and Windows will have the same character
set,HORROR.)  Also I realise UCS-2 is not the ultimate solution as even it
does not support all the possible glyphs in the world, but I think it
makes sense these days to have software that is automatically cabable of
being used by most of the world languages. (such as Windows nn)

Frank Kolmann