From: Bob Anderson [mailto:banderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:25 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: .NET and the iSeries

      I'm not sure this is the place but her is a question.  I would
like to start doing some .NET programming with our iSeries and Visual
Studio 2005.
      I have downloaded the IBM add ins for 2005 and the IBM .NET
provider but what is the DB2 Connect for iSeries and how do I go about
getting it, and any idea as to cost

I am curious as to what the .NET provider provides. I am starting soon with
.NET coding and the i5 and plan to start with the basics.  The .net 2.0 sdk is
free from MSFT and provides all the compilers. I am reading a very good book by
Petzold
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735621535/sr=8-1/qid=1149174307/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1463457-6056607?%5Fencoding=UTF8

also:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735618003/sr=8-5/qid=1149174370/ref=pd_bbs_5/103-1463457-6056607?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Petzold has a simple, no charge, IDE that works with the .NET SDK:
http://www.charlespetzold.com/keycs/

.NET has the ODBC classes that can connect to the i5.  My plan is to use those
first, esp if  the IBM software is not available to me because I cant afford to
upgrade from V5R1.

-Steve