Wow - Elvis.  Your making me look bad.  I tried your suggestions.
Of your indexes two were ignored but one used.  The one used was
CREATE INDEX T1IDX1 ON T1 (GLLT ASC, GLDSYJ ASC, GLDGJ DESC)

Using your "WITH" syntax, the access plan looks like:
Index Scan Key Positioning-->Key Selection-->Table Probe-->dynamic
Bitmap-->Bitmap Merge-->skip sequential table scan-->hash join (with leg on
t2)

I also created your query as a view and it keeps the access plan!

So, two questions.  What's up with the GLDGJ DESC on your index suggestion,
and what's up with the "WITH" statement???

Thanks. RH

"Elvis Budimlic"
<ebudimlic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://www.centerfieldtechnology.com/publications/archive/April%202006.pdf).

> Another thing I learned as I'm tuning SQL on System i is that the answer
is
> always "It depends".  There are just too many factors query optimizer
takes
> into consideration when it's making its decisions for anyone to claim
> anything with full certainty.  Another thing that exasperates this
situation
> is that IBM is hard at work changing, enhancing and optimizing the query
> optimizer all the time, so what you know today may be outdated tomorrow.
>
> Query optimization is iterative process so view my suggestion as iteration
1
> and cross your fingers :)
>
> CREATE INDEX T1IDX1 ON T1 (GLLT ASC, GLDSYJ ASC, GLDGJ DESC)
> CREATE INDEX T1IDX2 ON T1 (GLMCU ASC)
> CREATE INDEX T2IDX1 ON T2 (MCMCU ASC)
>
> WITH t AS
> {
> SELECT GLMCU,
>        GLOBJ,
>        GLSUB,
>        GLEXA,
>        GLEXR,
>        GLAA,
>        GLIVD,
>        GLDGJ,
>        GLDCT,
>        GLPO,
>        GLLT,
>        GLDSYJ
> FROM t1
> WHERE GLLT='AA' AND GLDSYJ>=106072 AND GLDGJ<=105365
> }
> SELECT
>   t.GLMCU,
>   t2.MCDC,
>   t2.MCRP01,
>   t.GLOBJ,
>   t.GLSUB,
>   t.GLEXA,
>   t.GLEXR,
>   t.GLAA,
>   t.GLIVD,
>   t.GLDGJ,
>   t.GLDCT,
>   t.GLPO,
>   t.GLLT,
>   t.GLDSYJ
> FROM t INNER JOIN t2 ON t2.MCMCU = t1.GLMCU
>
> Test it first with some simple selects before you building a view on top
of
> it. I'm curious to see what your testing shows.
> Good luck.
>
> Elvis

t1.GLDSYJ>=106072

MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx