Service-Orientation can be intra-, extra- or inter-net. The goal is to remove all boundaries between companies, between platforms, between applications. An SOA could be designed to work between a System i and its integrated Windows server. An SOA could be designed to work with two Systems i in separate parts of the world.

The most difficult part is when you have intra-net, or even intra-server, where you don't cross any boundaries - maybe all your applications reside on the same server. Why would you bother with any kind of SOA? In this case, there are two advantages. All of the advantages of modularization apply, although defining a business process is a little more fuzzy. And, the future is upon us. As small businesses reach out into the world, they will have a requirement to connect and interoperate. If you are already Service-Oriented, then you are well positioned for the future.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Payne"
Subject: RE: Application design & architecture

Is it necessary for a service to cross organizational boundaries for
this method to be called SOA?