From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Trevor Perry
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 12:45 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Application design & architecture

Scott,

Thanks.

I agree with you about COMMON. I was involved in the SOA focus, and
after it
was over, the message about SOA was confusing. My concern was that SOA
from
an IBM Software Group perspective has an ulterior motive - selling
WebSphere. This perspective is limited, and the SOA message is confused
if
the only view you are getting is from Software Group.

To help, try this article:
http://www.zapthink.com/report.html?id=WP-0116 I
am not sure if you have to enroll, but it costs nothing more than your
email
address.

At COMMON, we wrote several articles for the conference daily about SOA.
have reproduced them here:
http://www.angustheitchap.com/Angus/COMMONSOA.html
And, for the RPG-minded, I wrote this article:
http://www.angustheitchap.com/Angus/SOATLA.html

I apologize for taking the bait and answering specific questions without

addressing the big picture first. Try some of these approaches for more
detail, although, keep clear of the vendor hype:
http://www.oracle.com/technologies/soa/index.html
"Leading companies are tackling the complexity of their application and
IT
environments with Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA), which facilitates
the
development of modular business services that can be easily integrated
and
reused - creating a truly flexible, adaptable IT infrastructure."
http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/278061-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=
reg_R1002_USEN
"SOA is about improving business results.  It's not an off-the-shelf
technology - rather it's an approach to architecting and organizing IT
and
business functionality that enables you to achieve your business goals
while
managing change."

And here is a great article about MS's concerns with IBM, which talks
about
SOA.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/service-oriented/?p=512&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zd
blog
"...IBM may be a bit over-zealous in pushing SOA, complicating its
message
to the market, but Microsoft has been too obtuse on its own SOA
message."

And here is the big deal. SOA is simply an approach to IT that requires
business thinking to be applied to the IT work we do. This is not so
easy to
understand for techies, and certainly is very scary to a lot of people -
reference a recent midrange-L debate. However, SOA is an approach that
will
forge a path to the future of IT. The earth is a sphere.

Trevor