I agree, Lou. Any studies of performance and throughput would need to consider
the kind of work. If you are drawing a picture, don't use a keyboard - can be
done (AFP stuff on AS/400 come to mind for anyone? anyone actually use it?) If
you are entering text only, a mouse will definitely slow you down. Touch typing
with all its speed is deeply dependent on not having to watch what is
happening. Anything mouse-driven will be inherently slower - the eye needs to
see where you are going to guide you - so a Windows app that is well-designed
will, IMO, always have useful keyboard equivalents. I mean, doesn't it make
sense that oscillating between mouse and keyboard has to take time? Good grief,
we have only so many cycles in our computers, the same goes for our bodies.

One fact - perception IS reality - hence our struggles, to some degree.

I have been thinking about the input paradigm some lately - the car is a great
example, IMO, of a complex process controlled by a very simple input mechanism.
Computers are really not anywhere close to that, I think. But then, most modern
computers are multi-purpose machines, not single-purpose as cars are, mostly. I
used to copy parts (musical for orchestras) and I will almost guarantee you
that I am still faster with a nice calligraphy pen then someone using Finale.
No music notation software has the "flow" of a pen on paper, where everything
you do is what you might call real-time entry - with the software methods you
keep going back, over and over, the same passages to add dynamics (loudness),
articulations (short, long, etc.), and all the other modifiers you need. But
with a pen this is done in one swell foop - I long for some more natural entry
mechanism.

Oy!

From: Lou Forlini <lforlini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>