The price entry point is even less when you take in to account the
emulated mainframes.  There is a company that sells software that runs
on UNIX/Linux that emulates mainframe hardware.  Both versions of IBM's
mainframe OS's (Z/OS, formerly MVS, and VSE) will run on Intel platform
servers.

And yes it cuts into the Systems I sales.  But remember, IBM sells
hardware for love and software because they have to.

I believe the ultimate strategy from IBM is to be able to sell 1 box and
run whatever you want on it.

Version
> Of Its Mainframe Computer
>
> I may be the only person thinking this, but isn't this new 'smaller
> Mainframe' going to cut into new System I sales?
>
> ======================
>
> Larry Ketzes
> Senior Security Project Analyst
> American Life Insurance Company
>
> One ALICO Plaza
> 600 King Street
> Wilmington, DE 19801
> Phone: 302-594-2146
> Mobile: 302-559-1631
> Email: larry.ketzes@xxxxxxx

Of
> Its Mainframe Computer
>

> Financial News
> Print This Page
>
> Updated 12:01 AM ET April 27, 2006
>
> IBM to Offer Smaller Version Of Its Mainframe Computer
>
> By Charles Forelle
>
> Call it Little Blue.

<http://www.smartmoney.com/att/eqsnaps/index.cfm?story=snapshot&symbol=i
bm
> nternational
> Business Machines Corp. will soon begin selling a
> junior version of its flagship mainframe
> computer, pitching the machine at small and
> medium-size businesses concerned about the
> security and reliability of lower-cost servers.
>
> The economy model, called the z9 Business Class,
> will start at $100,000, well below the
> quarter-million-dollar figure that is a typical mainframe starting
point.

> The move, expected to be announced today in
> Beijing, represents an effort to extend the life
> of the venerable machine, whose lineage goes back
> more than four decades. The mainframe, though
> less central to Big Blue than it was in eras
> past, remains a substantial source of profit,
> since the pricey machines have few competitors.
> Sales of mainframes also drag in other business,
> such as software and services needed to set them up.

<http://www.smartmoney.com/att/eqsnaps/index.cfm?story=snapshot&symbol=S
ta