"...So it may not be a bad thing..."

I wonder. Wouldn't big users (ATT, IBM, MS) be able to pay such a
premium that SMBs would have a hard time trying to get a good service?

Also, one of the big points about the web is its "same access for all"
principle, which makes it a very democratic tool. What happens if a big
provider objects to a particular web site content? Would it have so very
low priority as being unusable? This opens a whole new pandora box.

My 0.2 cents...

Regards

Luis Rodriguez

> message: 1
>

> ------------------------------
>
> message: 2
> date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:18:59 -0400
> from: "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> subject: RE: business traffic via internet from/to iSeries
>
> I'm not following this debate, so I may be off my rocker (shut up Joe.
> <G>) but I would expect that this would also allow the carriers to honor
> Quality-of-service indicators and throttle non-latency-effected
> protocols (like SMTP, FTP and HTTP) in favor of protocols that need low
> latency like VoIP and video conferencing. So it may not be a bad thing.
>
> -Walden
>
> --
> Walden H Leverich III
> Tech Software
> (516) 627-3800 x3051
> WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.TechSoftInc.com

>> date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:39:03 -0400
>> from: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> subject: business traffic via internet from/to iSeries
>>
>> Has anyone followed the "network neutrality" debate at the FCC and US
>> Congress?
>> They are debating a law to end "network neutrality" on the internet,
>> allowing large providers (AT&T, Verizon, etc) the ability to prioritize
>> traffic (or possibly even block traffic).
>> If this goes thru, what will happen to all the ftp and http traffic we
>> send and receive daily?
>> Will we be forced to pay for a high enough priority to continue decent
>> One of my customer's got a MoveOn.org email today on this and
>> they asked what it will do to all the ftp & http traffic we run.
>> Jim Franz
Luis Rodriguez
IBM Certified Systems Expert
eServer i5 iSeries Technical Solutions