"Tom Jedrzejewicz" <tomjedrz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is not a good practice; the mail server should be protected by the firewall, particularly as it is a Windows
server.  I am kind of curious to
find out why it was done, if indded it is the case.

Confirmed: the mail server is outside. This was done so that the web-mail interface would work, as port 80 is being routed elsewhere by the firewall.

Sending email from the Java application on the 400 to an address on the mail server works fine; sending it from the email server itself (through the web-mail interface) to my personal email address works fine.

Sending it from the Java application on the 400 to my personal email address produces the bounce message I reported previously. The curious thing about the bounce message is that it purports to be from QGATE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx On the CHGTCPDMN screen for that 400, the host name is given as "sirius," and the domain as "private.touchtonecorp.com," but I can't imagine how a bounce message could be coming from the origin point of the original message.

Can anybody point me in the direction of docs and/or previous List traffic on how to get the OS/400-native SMTP sending email directly, without relaying through our mail server? Obviously, it's getting through the firewall, since it's getting to the mail server, so avoiding the relay should be fairly straightforward.

--
JHHL

--
JHHL