Charles, thanks for the correction.

Since this "heap" like format is so common on the iSeries, I'm inclined to
think that iSeries tables are not as apt to suffer from the table
fragmentation and the forward-pointer random I/O issue as described in the
previously included link.

However, with that being said, JDE table design does STRONGLY favor the use
of CHAR (or rather, strongly dis-favors the use of all variable lengh data
types) which pads values with spaces as necessary.  This padding may waste
some drive space, but it does make it MUCH less likely that records will
change record length after an update.  This in turn will decrease page
splits (which in SQL would prevent a forward-pointer).  Maybe this is
another tactic used to be RDBMS agnostic - or maybe iSeries performance
suffers from page splits as well.

Would you be so gracious as to entertain yet another one of my questions?
Also, if forward-pointers do exist on the iSeries, does the RGZPFM of an
object remove deleted records and resolve page split pointers?

"Wilt, Charles" <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
> [...]
Behalf Of Ryan Hunt

MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx