Hah... I hadn't even thought about the poor search results to be realized
with this name (apparently neither did IBM...).  You make a very convincing
case, Scott - maybe they'll change the name again to remedy the situation!
;)

             Scott Klement
             <midrange-l@scott
             klement.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             04/10/2006 12:39                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: Did we have another name
                                       change?

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

> You should be able to get auto-correction to work to your advantage
> instead of against you.

I only rarely use Word, and when I do I turn off auto-correction because,
frankly, it's annoying.  My problem isn't auto-correction, it's the fact
that "System i" is made up of two words, both of which already have
meanings.

Now, it won't have the same effect here as it would in an article, because
in this thread, we're all looking for the term "System i" and we know what
it means.  But even so, consider a sentence like the following:

     Upload the code to your System i using FTP in ASCII mode.

The unsuspecting reader can easily read this as "Upload the code to your
system." and  "I using FTP in ASCII mode".  Leaving the poor reader to
wonder what was wrong with my English, and possibly even be confused about
which system I'm referring to.

Granted, the reader will figure it out, but he may have to go back and
read it again.  It messes up the flow of the text. On the other hand, if I
had used iSeries, it would not have been a problem:

     Upload the code to your iSeries using FTP in ASCII mode.

Worse, try using it in a title.  In a title, every word is supposed to be
capitalized!

     I Like System I's New Features

Hmmm... Looks like a Roman numeral, doesn't it?  System One?  Is that the
predecessor of the System/3?  It's just not a good name.

Granted, as a proper noun, you shouldn't be capitalizing the i, but it
takes some work to convince a copy editor of that fact.  Once convinced,
you still have a less than elegant looking title:

     I Like System i's New Features

It's just a really nasty name to use when you're writing something.  But
that's not all...  Try searching for a product for the System i on the
Web.  Let's say you're looking for payroll software, you might run the
following Google search:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=system+i+payroll+software

I put the words "System i" at the start of my search string, that should
help, right?   Nope. Again, because the words "System" and "i" will be on
just about every web page relating to computers, the addition of these two
words is completely meaningless.

A name change causes some upheaval, but I can live with that.  But a
REALLY REALLY POOR choice of names is something else altogether.  To
compound the problem, IBM doesn't even use the new name in a consistent
way themselves, and the result is just a disaster.