Westdorp, Tom wrote: They can't use iOS, Cisco already has it locked up for there router OS name.
Besides which, in any case, if they do get consistent here, they'll shed a little bit of that retarded "legacy" moniker, where it's used for a synonym with "obsolete".

Setting for an "i6/OS", for example, is a cool and subtle way to say it's a "new generation" operating system. It doesn't matter how many qualitative changes there are from say some future v5rN (version 5 release N), to v6r1, it will say it is completely up to date.

A good historical example is the jump that was made from the System/38 to the AS/400. The operating system went from something like CPF (I think that's it?) on the S/38 (wasn't it?) to OS/400, but it was really just about the same, with some good upgrades. Did they change the hardware?

The way they handled that I think helped a lot of diehard System/36 shops and programmers push into upgrading. It would be good to go back to inspiring the same fervor among the "AS/400" programmers, and their technical management....

Windows is a very smart company, at marketing. Win 3.1, to Win 95 to Windows 98, now XP, and maybe our grandchildren will get the next one, Longhorn (or did they change the name?) So you get the idea you're actually getting something better at least newer each time.

--Alan