I haven't seen the effects you're describing and haven't heard any common
cases of this - if V5R3 performed that badly overall, there'd be an outcry
we'd all know about!  Keep pushing IBM to help you fix it... somethings
going on  that's not 'normal'..  Hopefully you've got some before and after
performance data that will help you prove your case...

             Scott Klement
             <midrange-l@scott
             klement.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             midrange-l-bounce                                          cc
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Jon Allen <jallen@xxxxxxxxx>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: V5R3M0 upgrade issues
             04/06/2006 01:48          (PERFORMANCE Issues)
             PM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

This isn't an RPG issue, so I'm replying to MIDRANGE-L.

I've had HORRIBLE performance since upgrading to V5R3. It's not one thing
being slower, it's everything.  V5R3 is a terrible performer, there's no
question about it.

Talking to various people, they told me:

suggestion: The cache battery on your disks may be dead.
reply: It's not.

suggestion: You need more memory, the upgrade to V5R3 was the straw that
broke the camels back.

reply: I doubled the memory, and although it's faster than it was before,
it's still much slower than V5R2

suggestion: You could X and Y and that'd make your applications more
efficient.

reply: True, but this didn't change when I upgraded to V5R3. They were
like this on V5R2, and writing new, more optimized, code for every program
on my system just so that the operating system doesn't seem so slow seems
like a workaround rather than a solution.

All of the "experts" I've talked to have told me that V5R3 performs just
as well as V5R2.  I checked into this before I upgraded.  However, there's
absolutely no question that this isn't true.  I suspect that somewhere in
all the changes of the virtualization engine, they did something that
slows it all down.

At this point, though, i'm stuck with it until we're able to budget for a
faster computer.  (We're running a 270)

---
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com